SPRINGFIELD – Wednesday night, Republican central committees in all 102 counties held reorganizational meetings to elect new leadership, including members to the State Central Committee, the governing board of the Illinois Republican Party.
Members of the ILGOP State Central Committee are elected by a weighted vote of precinct committeemen within the congressional districts that appear on the November 2022 ballot (new maps).
The newly elected State Central Committee members elected in Illinois’ 17 congressional districts are as follows:
- Tim Ozinga, 1st District – State Representative, newly-elected Will County chairman, endorsed Richard Irvin for governor
- Judy Diekelman, 2nd District – State employee under former state Rep. Tom Cross and state Rep. Jim Durkin, endorsed Richard Irvin
- Jeanne Ives, 3rd District – former state representative, challenged Gov Rauner in 2018 IL GOP Primary, co-founder of Breakthrough Ideas, endorsed Darren Bailey
- Jay Reyes, 4th District – an incumbent member of SSC, endorsed Richard Irvin
- Aaron Del Mar, 5th District – former Cook County chairman, ran as LG with Gary Rabine team in IL GOP gubernatorial 2022 primary
- Sean Morrison, 6th District – Cook County Board Commissioner, Cook County GOP Chairman, endorsed Richard Irvin
- Mark Hosty, 7th District – ran for Cook County Board of Commissioners in 2022 IL GOP Primary
- Vacant, 8th District
- Joan LaSonde, 9th District – Executive Director North Cook Republican Organization, endorsed Richard Irvin
- Mark Shaw, 10th District – former Lake County GOP Chairman, an incumbent member of SSC
- Laura Pollastrini, 11th District - worked for DuPage Co state's attorney Joe Birkett, attorney, ran for state rep in 2012
- Rhonda Belford, 12th District – Hardin County GOP chairman
- Tim Butler, 13th District – state representative, endorsed Richard Irvin
- Larry Smith, 14th District – LaSalle County GOP chairman, endorsed by Darren Bailey in 2022
- Jason Plummer, 15th District – state Senator
- Jan Weber, 16th District – formerly SSC committee member for District 17
- Chad Weaver, 17th District – endorsed by IL GOP gubernatorial candidate Darren Bailey
“I congratulate all of this week’s winners and look forward to working with each and every one of them to elect Republicans statewide and up and down the ballot in November. Our party is strong, it’s united, and it will be successful in the upcoming election as more and more people wake up to the realities of failed Democrat leadership in Washington DC and Springfield," IL GOP Chairman Don Tracy said.
"The working families of Illinois simply want safe communities, a lower cost of living, and a government that works for them, not corrupt politicians. That’s what Illinois Republicans will deliver!”
Tracy, who was elected by the previous IL GOP State Central Committee, is saying that the IL GOP's main focus in 2022 is voter integrity.
Shaw endorsed Jesse Sullivan. If Bailey had done one statewide mailing asking conservatives outside Cook County to run as precinct committeemen back in February, a lot of these Establishment hacks that endorsed Richard Irvin would not have won. This is still a Rino dominated party that worships only money and it will be very hard to win even local races with this type of “leadership”.
Once again the IL Republicans destroy themselves and allow Don a pos Democrat run the party. Unreal!
Republicans will remain a super minority with so many elected at the request of Irvin.
Looks like poor choices again ……… non vetted rinos
The Republican party ought to return to the system of allowing Republican primary voters to choose the members of the Republican State Central Committee. The new State Central Committee does not include a single Chicagoan.
Bailey and his allies waited too long to endorse their preferred candidates for the State Central Committee. If the effort had been undertaken sooner, it would have been more successful.
Straight Truth, I agree with you. The general assembly should also pass a law that would let Cook Co. voters run for precinct committeeman, like the other 101 counties.
In your opinion, how many of those 16 people are conservative? I know that at least three of them are conservative. I don’t know about the others.
No, Don has not been reelected. This week’s election was only for the State Central Committeemen in the 17 congressional districts. Until this Board is elected by the Precinct Committeemen and seated, there can’t be an election for State GOP Chairman.