SPRINGFIELD – Sixteen Republican state legislative candidates have formed an ad hoc coalition to back Democrat State Rep. LaShawn Ford's proposal that would allow Chicago voters to recall Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Six State Senate candidates and ten State House GOP candidates all say if elected, they would co-sponsor Ford's legislation and push for its passage.
The statement the group agreed upon says Mayor Emanuel and the Chicago political power structure have failed the students they are charged with educating and the families they are charged with physically protecting.
"It’s time to stand up and speak with moral clarity against the injustices bestowed upon us from the political status quo," the statement says.
Rep. LaShawn Ford's effort to hold Emanuel accountable following the delayed revelation of a video tape showing a Chicago cop shooting a 17 year old 16 times is controversial among Chicago Democrats. The Chicago City Council's Black Caucus signed off on a $5 million settlement with the teen's family – all without any public knowledge.
Ford's had his own scrapes within the federal court system. In 2014, he was sentenced to six months' probation after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor tax charge. Ford was required to pay owed back taxes and complete 100 hours of community service.
The candidates listed in the coalition backing Ford's recall effort includes:
- Seth Lewis, Candidate, 23rd Senate District
- Mel Thillens, Candidate, 28th Senate District
- Benjamin Salzberg, Candidate, 29th Senate District
- Mike Amrozowicz, Candidate, 31st Senate District
- Michelle Smith, Candidate, 49th Senate District
- Dale Fowler, Candidate, 59th Senate District
- Heidi Holan, Candidate, 46th House District
- Jillian Bernas, Candidate, 56th House District
- Dawn Abernathy, Candidate, 59th House District
- Allen Skillicorn, Candidate, 66th House District
- Brandi McGuire, Candidate, 72nd House District
- Lindsay Parkhurst, Candidate, 79th House District
- Mike Strick, Candidate, 84th House District
- Mike Babcock, Candidate, 111th House District
- David Severin, Candidate, 117th House District
- Jason Kasiar, Candidate, 118th House District