37.9 F
Chicago
Thursday, February 9, 2023
HomeIllinois NewsRauner walks back no-overtime plan for home care workers

Rauner walks back no-overtime plan for home care workers

Date:

spot_img

Bruce-rauner-seiu-home-healthcare-overtime.jpg&maxw=620&q=100&cb=20160804000334&cci_ts=20160803172438
AP Photo

SPRINGFIELD: Donald Trump isn't the only rich Republican forced to walk back statements and policies as he preps for the November elections. According to AP, Gov. Rauner suspended his no-overtime policy for workers caring for disabled residents in their homes, just hours before the workers' union planned to file a lawsuit challenging the plan's legality.

Secretary of Human Services James Dimas said the agency would seek permission to bar overtime hours through an administrative rule with the consent of the Illinois Legislature, which effectively takes it off the table until after the election.

Rauner's Human Services prohibited overtime earlier this year after the federal government decided home care workers deserved time-and-a-half pay for work over 40 hours a week. Dimas said the policy — not fully enforced until May — has saved $5 million and provides a break for some caregivers who routinely worked double-digit hours.

A Kane County judge approved a restraining order on the policy last month, and Dimas said he put enforcement on hold because the workers' union — SEIU Healthcare Illinois — aimed to expand the ban statewide through a lawsuit it was prepared to file Wednesday.

More HERE

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

1 COMMENT

  1. Logically the workers would just go home after their hours or the state would have to pay overtime if the wanted them there.
    That would be the decision of the state officials in charge.
    One way or the other. In the hands of the state bureaucrats and Rauner can tell the head honchos what he wants done.