SPRINGFIELD – The gun control group "Moms Demand Action" will be in the faces of state lawmakers Wednesday, holding "corrupt gun dealers accountable."
The group says in a press statement they expect hundreds of mothers to gather at the State Capitol. "Moms Demand Action" is affiliated with the group "Everytown," founded by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
While several gun control bills are to be considered on the Illinois House floor, Moms Demand Action will be lobbying lawmakers to support the Gun Dealer Licensing Act, SB 1657. The measure would require gun dealers to adopt "responsible practices" and "hold corrupt dealers accountable."
SB 1657 would help curb a major source of illegally trafficked firearms from entering Illinois communities by requiring:
- Background checks for gun store employees
- Gun dealers to keep their business premises open for inspection by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation and by law enforcement during business hours
- Training for gun store employees on responsible business practices and the laws applicable to selling firearms
- Video surveillance and alarm systems installed for all brick and mortar locations
- New stores not to operate within 500 feet of any school
More on Moms Demand Action: